What is Sundara Inn and Spa?
Sundara Inn and Spa is a destination spa and resort located in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, USA. They have won numerous awards since opening in 2003. Most recently, they were chosen as one of the Top 5 Destination Spas in the world in Travel + Leisure Magazine’s 2014 Readers’ Poll.
We will always remember how wonderful Sundara smelled! The aromas of eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender are absolutely intoxicating throughout the property. We wish we could bottle it up and take it with us wherever we go. Sundara focuses on having a peaceful and calm environment for its guests, so cellphones and most electronics are prohibited in common areas. This makes the purifying bath ritual, pool area and relaxation room more enjoyable for all. While the majority of guests are couples, we encountered several mother/daughter and girlfriend getaway groups during our stay. While one might expect a luxury spa to have a stuffy feel to it, we always felt comfortable and at ease moving throughout the property.
We booked a Premier Suite but were given a complementary upgrade to an Exclusive Suite upon check-in. The suite featured a king size feather bed with luxury bedding . We woke up well rested and not wanting to get out of bed. The bedding has been so popular with guests that you can now purchase your own set to bring home. The suite also features a fireplace and sitting area. Our favorite part of the room is the attached oversized bathroom. This bathroom is decked out with high end finishes including a Kohler Quadrangle Riverbath™ and Kohler Waterhaven™ Tower Shower system. Someday, this shower will be part of our master bath at home! We received complimentary turn down service while we were enjoying the spa and pool areas. Local Wisconsin made caramels as well as a calming herbal tea for two were included in the service. It was a perfect way to relax before getting ready for the evening.
Sundara charges a $15/room resort fee to cover the cost of these amenities:
- Unlimited access to the Sundara Purifying Bath Ritual and heated outdoor pool – (The bath ritual is a five step process: exfoliation, aroma steam room, rainfall shower rinse, essential oil-enhanced hot pool alternating with cool plunge pool. We enjoyed the purifying bath ritual greatly and it is an excellent way to start your Sundara spa experience.)
- Continental spa breakfast served from 7am-10am + in suite coffee – (The continental breakfast was very good; included were eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, oatmeal, a variety of bagels, muffins, cereal and an assortment of fresh fruit and yogurt. You are welcome to eat in the rotunda overlooking the lobby or take your plate back to your room.)
- Wireless internet access – (Wifi was strong and good connections were easily had while inside your room. No complaints here.)
- Transportation to an off-site fitness studio – (We did not take advantage of this as we were staying for one night and wanted to enjoy as much time as possible on the property.)
- Chauffeur services for local transportation – (We also did not take advantage of this offering since we wanted to stay on site. However, a Mercedes SUV is the vehicle available, so it can easily accommodate a party of six.)
Customer Service (5/5)
The service we received during our stay was fantastic. Check-in was smooth and the concierge did a wonderful job of answering any questions we had regarding the property and surrounding area. Each locker room has an attendant on hand to help get you situated with your personal locker and the amenities available. He or she is also available to walk guests through the purifying bath ritual steps as well as the quiet room and pool areas. Customer service is obviously taken very seriously and we never encountered anything but a friendly smile.
We encountered a few areas of concern during our time at Sundara:
- There were more guests than chairs around the pool area. This is because Sundara allows both overnight and spa day guests to use this part of the property. We were disappointed to arrive about noon and only find one chair available. Luckily, the weather was wonderful and we had no problem hanging out in the pool for a few hours until another chair opened up.
- The locker rooms are small. It is almost impossible for more than three women to be near the lockers at one time. I had problems accessing my locker each time I went in the locker room. It is a minor inconvenience but worth pointing out considering the prices at the spa. Additionally, Sundara ran out of women’s lockers on our first day.
- Our room was located on the 2nd floor, which is the same floor the continental breakfast is served. The clatter of dishes and voices started at 7am and lasted until we checked out at 11am. This could be a problem for guests wishing to sleep in.
Great Big Globe TIP: Check-in is at 4pm. However, we recommend you arrive early and use the locker rooms, purifying bath ritual and outdoor pool areas. These are available as early as 9am and the concierge will hold your luggage until your room is ready. Why not spend the entire day at this beautiful property?
For more information on this property visit the Sundara Inn and Spa website. *All opinions given in the review are our own.